Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Mother Forever

This poem is dedicated to all the Moms out there.  The ladies who dedicate their entire life to bring up this other human being without expecting anything in return. Surely "The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world".



My whole life changed,
The day, I held your little finger.
All my plans, already rearranged,
To include you in it my little wonder.

So little, so fragile,
Your eyes shined, like stars in the sky.
So innocent, so beautiful,
Your smile, like fireworks on the fourth of July.

Your first word, your first step,
Running around the house bare feet.
Those moments, all in my mind etched,
I still see you, as you used to be.

Use to walk you to school,
Every morning, lost count of the days.
Painting together, was the weekend rule,
I always loved the mess you’d make.
A few years down,
You were no longer that five year old.
Your hair were longer and you wore an evening gown,
You were growing up as I was growing old.

My little girl became a beautiful lady,
You changed your clothes, your style and the way you’d speak.
I no longer needed to make your room tidy,
You managed to keep me away for weeks.

I was no longer welcomed to welcome you home,
You no longer craved my presence at the door.
Sneaking in at odd hour you’d rush to your room,
You no longer wanted me to wait up anymore.

You kept me up whole night when you were a baby,
And I complied happily.
Now you still keep me up all night young lady,
What a shame! What a tragedy!

I worry for you and what your into,
Your friends seem shady and your future unsafe.
I care for you and when I try to help,
You scream ‘Leave me alone!’ and slam the door in my face.

As a mother I’d always wish the best for you,
I love you and I always will but I have my dignity to keep too.
Your wish is granted dear daughter,
Today I leave you.

Never imagined I’d live to see everything fall,
As you stand at the door I stand outside.
Sure my bones are weak but my spirit is strong,
Before I leave let me give you some advice.

Don’t you worry about putting me in an old age shelter,
I can live on my own, I have lived before you.
I’m a mother and I’ll be a mother forever,
It’s not a ‘Pick and Choose’, it’s not a ‘Onetime’ thing,
You’ll realize this when you have a daughter too.

-Yusra.Shaikh


No comments:

Post a Comment