Thursday, March 5, 2015

Not In The Name Of God.

It's been a while but here's my latest poem.
This poem is based off the Peshawar attach which took place on 16th Dec 2015 (Link:http://time.com/3646246/peshawar-pakistan-taliban-students-school-attack/) .I feel like it's become a trend nowadays where self proclaimed religious groups do terrorist activities in the name of religion & God. This poem actually hits home for me. And just like it's one's responsibility to defend one's family, one's honour, in the same way I feel like it's my moral obligation to defend my religion in the most civil and peaceful way possible. 




It was just another Tuesday,
Nothing special, nothing great,
Started off as just another day,
Ended off with a disturbed fate.

Was sitting in class, it was the third lecture,
A loud blast and lots of screaming,
Within seconds the whole scene turned into a different picture,
Now crouched beneath my desk I lay silently weeping.

I saw my friend under another desk,
Shaking with fear, his face so red,
Could clearly hear the sound of footsteps,
As I saw those big black boots I will never forget.

“In the name of God”, you screamed out loud,
The sound of cries, the smell of blood and burning flesh,
As you mercilessly fired multiple bullet rounds,
I acted dead when you came upon me to check.

I open my eyes as I realize I’m sitting on my bed,
It’s been so many days but I still can’t get over it,
That scene is engraved in my head,
But “In the name of God” is what I just can’t forget.

My religion is peace,
My God never wants bloodshed,
Clearly you didn’t believe in this,
If you would then you would never hurt innocents.

My God tells me to treat everyone equally,
To even escort an enemy to safety,
To not hurt a bird or animal or even a tree,
And to choose for others what I choose for me.

I thought we come from the same place,
I thought you believed in peace too, but obviously you did not,
You were a completely different case,
Under the skin of a human was a monstrous bigot.

You praised God as you did deeds of the devil,
This won’t take you to Paradise you’re only falling deeper in hell,
Being under some sort of satanic spell,
All you really care about is your agenda and your cartel.

You make a mockery of the verses and scriptures,
It’s not about a particular attire and few Arabic words,
This faith is much much deeper,
Unlike yours which is broken and blurred.

Patience and tolerance is what makes a true believer,
Cause no harm to your family, friends and even your neighbours,
Feed the hungry even if it’s just one supper,
Treat the orphan in a respectful and righteous manner.

People are of two kinds,
Either brothers in faith or equals in humanity,
You cannot interpret without having the context in mind.
You will be answerable for all your criminality.

Knowledge is placed on such a high pedestal,
That even the first word revealed was ‘Read’,
So how can this religion command you to kill,
You could get the answer yourself if you actually bother to read.

Killing young blood is only done by cowards,
By low self-esteemed weak little men,
Whatever your justification murder will always be murder,
Forget about Muslim you’re not even human.

-Yusra.Shaikh

No comments:

Post a Comment